It is always my birthday


Whenever I like something it is always my birthday.
And I like a lot. My friends know this and let me be. Great friends.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Happy Scrappy Quilt

I wanted to use up some scrap strips and pieces that were to small to cut down for my squares and bricks ala the Scrap User's System by Bonnie Hunter.

So I sewed them to a used dryer sheet, a fellow quilter told me about using that as my foundation. Sometimes I sewed on the strips before I added them to the foundation piece. 

After I had all the fabric in each color way sewn on , I trimmed the piece to 6 1/2 inches square. 

I am making brightly colored squares in orange, purple, blue, green , red and yellow.
I

This is my finished block,it is 12 1/2 inches.  The bright fabric I found a few month ago and it was perfect. 
The background is a white on white with 2 1/2 inch strips of different designs printed on it. At first I thought I may not like this back ground fabric, but now I love it because it makes it more interesting. 
I am going to make 12 blocks and than set them somehow ( this is still in the design stage) 
The best part about using used dryer sheets is that when I have to iron the block they smell so nice. 
Check back and see what the finished quilt will look like in a few weeks. 

5 comments:

mamarazza said...

Love your idea!And the bright colors are so you! Bad thing is I don't use dryer sheets ...

kms handmade said...

Neat idea! I like how that looks inside the star!

quilthexle said...

Very cool - crumb piecing ! Maybe I should do that ... when I ever have a chance to tame my scraps ...

Big hug,
Frauke

Corinnea said...

I love the way your block turned out! Such a great idea!

Aby Dolinger said...

Great way to use used dryer sheets. The star block looks so fresh and crisp!