I recently joined a International Modern Quilt Guild ( see here, Modern Quilt Guild Stuttgart )
and our first challenge was to use men's shirting to make a modern project with them.
I love what the ladies did with their men's shirting fabric.
My Friday church group and I are making baby quilt for charity, size about 40 inch by 50 inch, so this was a perfect project for me. Simple but stunning , and the right size.
I found weeks before this free quilt pattern at Jo-Ann's , and it was perfect for this challenge.
Just maybe because it had my favorite color in it.
My baby quilt measures 42 inches by 50 inches.
I used a light grey back ground fabric and quilted small and medium swirls onto the quilt.
Good thing I had just mowed my lawn, so I was able to throw the quilt out onto the lawn in the sunshine and take a picture.
Check out here what Aby came up with with her challenge, awesome!
I wanted to use up some scrap strips and pieces that were to small to cut down for my squares and bricks ala the Scrap User's System by Bonnie Hunter.
So I sewed them to a used dryer sheet, a fellow quilter told me about using that as my foundation. Sometimes I sewed on the strips before I added them to the foundation piece.
After I had all the fabric in each color way sewn on , I trimmed the piece to 6 1/2 inches square.
I am making brightly colored squares in orange, purple, blue, green , red and yellow.
This is my finished block,it is 12 1/2 inches. The bright fabric I found a few month ago and it was perfect.
The background is a white on white with 2 1/2 inch strips of different designs printed on it. At first I thought I may not like this back ground fabric, but now I love it because it makes it more interesting.
I am going to make 12 blocks and than set them somehow ( this is still in the design stage)
The best part about using used dryer sheets is that when I have to iron the block they smell so nice.
Check back and see what the finished quilt will look like in a few weeks.