It is always my birthday


Whenever I like something it is always my birthday.
And I like a lot. My friends know this and let me be. Great friends.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Scrappy Star Quilt



A fellow quilter told me about using used dryer sheets
 as foundation for scrappy quilts. 

So I gave it a try.
 It is just like paper piecing, except no paper to rip out and you sew on the fabric , not on the dryer sheet. 

I  even sew bits and pieces together to make them cover the area, but  iron the seam apart. 

I kept adding fabric till the area was covered. 

I trimmed to size when I am done.  This practice piece measures 4 1/2 inches.

 I keep the trimmings to make more blocks. 

I made twelve 12 inch stars, and used white fabric as sashing with
 the outer border fabric as  cornerstones. A small red inner border was needed between the white and the outer border fabric . 

The center of the stars are not quilted. I am not sure why I didn't . 
I sewed on a button in the same color as the center fabrics. 
It came out good size, 52 inches by 64 inches. Perfect for a couch cuddle quilt. 

3 comments:

kms handmade said...

The quilt turned out super cute! I like the buttons too. Did you think it was easier to sew with the dryer sheet as opposed to with nothing? Is it just for sizing your block or does it help make the sewing easier?

Barbara said...

Hallo Tina,

dein Stenenquilt ist Klasse! Danke auch für die prima Anleitung mit Bildern. Liebe Grüße, Barbara

Aby Dolinger said...

I love the quilt with crumb centers for the stars. My bag of skinny strips is overflowing, perhaps I should make a quilt like yours! The buttons are a very cute embellishment.